500 Words Per Day

Friday, October 28, 2005

Going for that Job You Don't Want

They say opportunity knocks when you least suspect it. How about when opporunity knocks when you least desire it? Just two days after I officially abandoned my active job search in the web development field, a recruiter calls me in to interview for a 3-month design contract.

Were you not reading my thoughts, World? I have no interest in web design anymore. At least not as a career, day in and day out. I could care less about web sites. Really.

But there I was this afternoon, sitting in another wood-panelled conference room with this recruiter and wondering if I could pull off the minor miracle of getting a job without really wanting it.

There are also some externals both holding me back and drawing me in. First the pay isn't anything to sing about, but on a full-time basis without any deductions, it isn't bad and lack of funds is rapidly becoming as issue for me. Would the pay, however, make up for having to commute into the suburbs? I used to grind through a traffic-congested 45km commute for two years. This new gig is more along the lines of a breezy 25-30km motorist's hell, each way of course.

What to do, eh? I have at least until Monday afternoon before I fully commit to the job if in fact I am selected. I dislike being tempted by money... and when I'm not even desperate yet, should I even succumb so easily? I only bothered with the interview because I was going downtown anyway. How's that for a drive to succeed?

Ugh. This probably doesn't clock in at 500 words, but I'm sitting here mooching another office's computer and I really should hope on a bus soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home