500 Words Per Day

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Autopilot

Have you ever had one of those days where you're not paying any attention to your life? I had one of those days today. It's very frustrating when I have an agenda planned out for the day, but because I can't connect the dots between all my errands and tasks, I make a bad decision that affects everything else I do.

Then you have those days when you think you've started comletely off the wrong foot but then later realize you were glum and pessimistic about nothing. The day didn't turn out shitty. The sky didn't fall.

My day started with a flu shot. I let myself get talked into getting one again this year by my parents. The previous two years I was working full-time and figured if this kept me healthy and able to keep working, then why not. I'm unemployed now, so there wasn't a big incentive for me to get stabbed in the arm with a needle. You could argue that I could safeguard my health to conintue my fruitful job search but I could counter and confess that I wasn't "hitting the pavement" all that hard these days.

Oh no, the dreaded influenza. Please don't infect me and make me bed-ridden. If I fall illl, how can I...err, wake up late and umm... hang out at the coffee shop with my magazines? As you can imagine, the repercussions of catching the flu this season were enormous and far-reaching.

Well, it doesn't take much prodding to make me do anything. I went in to my family doctor's clinic later in the morning and was kept in line for a few minutes. Yup, just as I had thought, not a young, able-bodied person in sight. I felt some slight embarrassment waiting my inoculation. Did this make me look like a pussy? Young bucks like me dont' get the publicly funded vaccine and have to shell out $20. Well not even that can stop this wuss from getting his protection from teh big, bad flu.

There I was standing in line, feeling foolish about doing something that would benefit my health. I began thinking about how I never get the flu and imagined that I could trick myself into thinking I would never catch it if I kept on getting shots each year. See, it's an Anti-Death Vaccine. How do I know? Well I've been taking it each year and I haven't died! That's the sort of logic that use to justify NOT getting my shots. Does that make any sense?

Long story short (and I'm saying that because I'm tired want to go to sleep)... I get my flu shot and sure as rain I feel lathargic and my arm begins to hurt like a bitch. I had my afternoon set aside for recording some mixsets with my DJ partner and thought my performance would be wrecked. It was a bit too much worrying for nothing.

This post has no rhyme or reason to it, but that's alright. I'll be back again tomorrow to write something meaningful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home