500 Words Per Day

Sunday, January 28, 2007

One Strand at a Time

The attractive, middle-aged barber found a little something during my visit last night.

"Oh, you have some white hair here!"

"Really?" I feigned surprise. I've long noticed a freak white hair on my left temple but I thought that was it. Turns out I had a harboured a couple more white fugitives behind my left ear as well.

"Yeah!," she replied, a little more cheerful than I would have preferred. "Are you making a lot of money?"

Interesting. White hairs as an indication of wealth. I suppose it made sense. Age made for experience, experience made for a higher income. I wondered for a second if it was a Chinese phenomenon, to immediately link signs of aging to wealth. To my dismay, I remembered how out of the loop I was with my own culture and was also reminded about my career's perpetual malaise. "Oh no, I'm not," was all I could muster. I smiled weakly, "I wish I was."

That was only partially true.

I just want to do work that challenges and satisfies me.

The white hairs are not a big deal. I don't plan on going out of my way to hide them. I just don't let being reminded about my limited time on this earth.

2 Comments:

Blogger meezly said...

ever since high school, i've always had a freak strand or two of white (or non-pigmented) hair every few months or so.

now that i'm well into my thirties, that ratio has increased to maybe 2 - 4 strands . at this rate, i'll be going gray in my sixties, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

who knows, maybe i'm destined to live til 150 or something... as a destitute to boot!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Ron Burgandy said...

Don't feel too bad, man. I've had white pubes since I was a teenager.

It's nothing to be ashamed of. But then again, I have no shame.

Meh, there's always "Just for Men". Available at your local Shoppers Drug Mart. This message brought to you by Mennen.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home