500 Words Per Day

Monday, December 04, 2006

A Book in My Head

I got the sensation today. It was the feeling of wanting to write a book. Maybe not a book, but a collection of short stories. My mind is brimming with idea fragments that are calling out to be put onto a page. I suppose I now join the club of the millions of aspiring writers who have experienced this exact same burst of confidence delusion.

How many of these people end up writing their book or novella? And of the few who do, how many get published?

So far I have a staggering 2 pages of prose. I haven't added anything new for the past week because I've been trying to parcel out what ideas will be included in one story and what will be saved for another. I'm thinking of writing a trio of stories based around a singular theme and organizing all the ideas into coherent blocks is quickly becoming a challenge. It's certainly a task that demands more than a few idle moments spared while waiting in traffic, or while sitting on the can. A pen and a few sheets of note paper may be of some help, or so I've heard.

Now I'm thinking I should reconnect with J., the rugged Brit lady killer I met earlier this year in Self Actualization School, a.k.a. The Landmark Forum. Our cozy weekly meetings were long ago and J. called me out of the blue several months later as I was walking into Shoppers to grab meds for my miserable ear infection. After a few minutes of awkward small talk, he announced his intention to write a book. A book! It struck me as a little random, seeing as the last venture of his we discussed was more along the lines of a scientific-slash-economic breakthrough involving lasers. Don't ask. The finer points completely elude me right now. All the more reason for me to sit him down and join me for a beer before the December holiday craziness overwhelms everyone's social calendar. We need to talk writing, crazy laser experiments and women. Ah, women.

Sidebar note: I've set all of my online dating profiles to Deep Freeze. I'm putting an end to online romance. What started out as a reassuring safety net had in recent years become my sole avenue of meeting new people. So as of last week, I officially retired my profiles and will do dating the way it's always been done: bricks n' mortars-style. Wish me luck.

3 Comments:

Blogger GuruTruth said...

There is a wealth of information available on the internet about this controversial Large Group Awareness Training "The Forum" course.

A documentary came out in France, Voyage to the Land of the New Gurus, which details some of the for-profit company's interesting practices. The film aired to 1.5 million people in France. One month after it aired, the company shut down in France. The company attempted to use the Digital Millenium Copyright Act in order to get this video off the internet. More about this at Landmark Education wants to make French news report a “forbidden video” on the Net and at Why did Landmark Education leave France? as well as at the Electronic Frontier Foundation's legal page, Landmark and the Internet Archive and in an article from Reuters which went into The Washington Post and The Los Angeles Times, among many other papers, at Google faces legal challenges over video service.

More information about the company's controversial history itself, at The Rick Ross Institute, the Skepdic site, Cult News, Introduction to the Landmark Education litigation archive, Landmark Education litigation archive, Apologetics Index, and Cult Awareness and Information Centre.

For more information about other controversial Large Group Awareness Training organizations and their methodologies, visit:

The Truth about Human Potential Seminars

1:35 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Thanks for all the links there. I thought you were spamming me (well, you sort of are) until I saw all the instances of Landmark.

The French documentary looks interesting and will be sure to look it up when I get home tonight.

The other links have been fascinating to read. Still, regardless of what I learn from them, it's all little after the fact. If I had this information 8 months ago, things might have gone differently.

I do not regret attending the Forum, although I definitely have reservations about recommending it to others now. Contrast this with when I was fresh out of the course and was flying high as a kite. I'd urge everyone to enroll if they showed the last bit of interest. :\

There's a lot of good to be had from the Forum but the zealotry fostered within the courses became a barrier and turn-off for me. A friend went a little further with their advanced programs and had some more dramatic confrontations with their ideology.

I would like to write more about it when I get a chance.

4:47 PM  
Blogger GuruTruth said...

Thanks for the response.

Most interested in hearing more about your reservations regarding recommending this course to others, as well as how "the zealotry fostered within the courses became a barrier and turn-off" and also more about how your "friend went a little further with their advanced programs and had some more dramatic confrontations with their ideology".

Did you feel the pressure within the coursework to move on and pay more for the more advanced courses? Were you asked to be a volunteer in the "assisting program" and if so what was your reaction to this and how do you feel about the investigations into this program by the Federal Department of Labor in the United States and France?

The Truth about Human Potential Seminars

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home