500 Words Per Day

Friday, March 30, 2007

A New Day & a New Chapter

I had a severe case of the "poor me"s two weeks ago, making it impossible to write anything coherent aside from dropping a couple F-bombs and calling it a night.

I've been trying to come up with a trite metaphor about life and roads and directions, knowing that all it would accomplish is to highlight just how uninspired I can be at 12:09AM on a Thursday evening.

Two weeks ago, I received my walking papers from the current job, signaling the end of my dutiful, perfunctory 15 months of service as the company's webmaster. Like all lay-offs, this one came as a bit of a surprise. My boss trundled into my office near day's end, quickly sat down and got down to business. Sales were down and cash flow had tightened and support staff would need to be terminated. It didn't occur to me to ask why our sales board was so awfully white when he had went through the trouble recruiting the boss' old friend (and hotshot salesman) to rake in the new business. No, I was too busy being bemused and rapidly oscillating my emotions between joy, relief, annoyance and perfect calm.

As I left work that day, I was positive of having already come to grips with my termination. This is what I wanted since January, right? When I reactivated my Monster and Workopolis accounts, that was the time I was itching to get a change of scenery. Now my secret wish was fulfilled.

I drove home, slightly happier and with mind braying with ideas and possibilities.

Not two hours later, I was scanning the rain-slicked street outside my apartment, searching for the malcontent who crushed the driver-side mirror off my car with their own poorly driven vehicle. Still fresh from the shock of newfound unemployment and the memory of my unresolved claim from September, I was beside myself. It really was an inhuman feat to not feel victimized at that point.

I did a point check on my karma rating, wondering what foul deeds I have committed recently to deserve this double-whammy. Not that I'm a saint by any stretch, but I couldn't think of any thing.

Today is my final day at the job. Had one of the owners at our satellite office dump a truckload of menial tasks on my lap these last few days, no doubt gettin' that web work while the gettin's good. After that's wrapped up, it's the slow process of backing up my best work, saving all my personal files, clearing out my browser cache and collecting the few personal effects I have on my desk. It's all very anti-climactic. Even the owners are out of town and will miss my send-off.

Oh yes, I will get my farewell lunch. See, who says it doesn't pay to get sacked?

4 Comments:

Blogger Taylor M said...

Well, I do hope you find yourself a nice change of scenery. Good luck to ya!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Thanks, bud. I have a lot of things to think about and not in a hurry to rush through the process just yet.

In the meantime, enjoy this very neglected blog of mine ;)

11:22 AM  
Blogger Ron Burgandy said...

BOOOOO. Get back on the horse, ya lazy blogmeister. 500 words per eon...this blog is in a sad state.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this blog is a disgrace... it should be shut down. is the guy running this thing even still around??! or he must've moved to the inner east side khazakstani slums for his change of scenery and they don't even have phone lines there.

on the other hand, ron burgundy's blog provides everybody with constant interesting and exciting insight into his life. HIGHLY enjoyable!

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home