500 Words Per Day

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Fog Attacks

The city has been hit with a prolonged bout of fogginess lately. Let me just say now that I think fog is way cool. Although it adds that extra element of risk to our already risky driving habits, you cannot deny how much atmosphere it adds to the otherwise boring evening landscape.

Where was all this moody fog during Halloween? I was wandering through my neighbourhood tonight for no particular reason and found myself walking along one of the side streets. After what must have been several minutes of daydreaming, I looked up and felt as if the fog had thickened. The air was dead quiet, even though the main street was only a block away. What really put the icing on this shift in atmosphere was this old swing hanging off some gnarly tree. Ok, the tree wasn't that gnarled but it did look quite dramatic in the darkness and silhouetted against the FOG. It was a real character piece, that swing. It wasn't your standard issue kid's swing at the playground. Had a couple wooden planks for the seat and some ornamentation going on leading up to the ropes.

So there I was, slowing down to a halt almost, just staring at this tree swing in the fog and was perhaps transported for an instant into a B horror movie. What quickly killed the illusion was the modern-looking house across the lawn with a bunch lights turned on inside. Yeah, not the creepy, abandoned ghost house you might have expected. Well, certainly not in the neighbourhood I live in.

The fog is cool. And I resumed my evening walk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home