500 Words Per Day

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Cruel and Unusual Punishment

I was thinking of calling this post Bad Luck.

I don't know how else to describe my predicament. A day before a big date and barely a week into my new job, I've finally been stricken with the dreaded common cold. I'm not so much in denial as I am praying to a god out there that I'm just hallucinating my symptoms or that I'll be miraculously healed when I wake up tomorrow morning.

I had been through the cold scare a few times since the summer and each time I would wonder at my luck at not catching it. Truth be told, if I caught any kind of routine illness in the past few months, it wouldn't have much mattered because I was a bum and lazing around at home all day anyway.

Now, when I've got two new things going in my life, "Bam", here comes the cold.

All I can tell you is that I was a complete basket-case yesterday and coughed a few times while at work. Meh, I figured it was just my lack of sleep over the weekend. Later that night I made the call and set up my date. All was well.

I woke up this morning feeling like I hadn't slept for very long, despite getting to bed at a decent hour. My nose was running a bit and I was foggy like a muthafucka. It got worse when I arrived to work. That's when the throat soreness kicked in.... and that's what I still have now... combined with my fatigue.

What's a guy to do? I could postpone the date for later this week... but my date takes off on Sunday for 3 weeks to Puerto Rico. My window of time has narrowed. Sure, I could wait until she gets back... but the time gap, along with me cancelling a date, which I've never done in my life, might just send the wrong signals and destroy any momentum I might have had.

What's the alternative then? Remedy my cold to death and hopefully mask the symptoms, then go out on my date and possibly spread my awesome cold to her right before she goes on her vacation?

This is the worst sort of pickle to be in. And I would be ranting out loud about my terrible luck if someone was actually around to listen to my crap in person.

THIS SUCKS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home