500 Words Per Day

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Imagined Disaster Averted

The day of judgement of upon me. Having called in sick from work, I was desperately sleeping away my bitter little cold. Noon rolled around and I was forced to rouse myself and make some lunch. More time ticked by and my hopes were beginning to look very bleak. It was 2pm and the nose had suddenly started running again, not to mention a new wave of fatigue that had me trudging ever so slowly back to my warm, inviting bed.

It would be a miracle for me to be able to make out to my date, let alone function with all cylinders firing.

Then it happened, the minor miracle. I suppose my cursing to the gods of superstition worked after all.

My date called to explain how she hadn't finished her research paper yet and had to postpone our dinner until the next day. Fearing a slower recovery, I took her one day postponement and raised it another day. She happily agreed.

I hung up the phone and almost did a backflip. Of course, people stricken with colds typically are not capable of such acrobatics. I settled for an enthused fist pump.

As for the date on Friday, all was to the good. I was fighting off a fair bit of grogginess but I survived the date intact and with flying colours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home