500 Words Per Day

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Fitness World - Scoping Chronicles Part 1 of 3

Well as some of you already know I finally bought into a Fitness World membership last week. And so I have begun my journey into a healthy and active lifestyle. I think I must have milked 3 guest passes over the course of that many years. So what was the straw that broke the camel's back? What finally made me lay down the cash to become a bonafide treadmill drone?

A couple of things. First, even before I became unemployed last summer and well before the Christmas gorging season, my fitness level was on the decline. If there ever was a technique for phoning in regular workout routine, I had already mastered it. Beginning last year, my workouts slowly shortened from 60 minute sessions to 45 and even 30 minutes. Instead of 3 time a week, I'd drag myself in only twice. Instead of really sweating it out, I would take it easy, mill around and read magazines on the stationary bikes. Oooh, that's always sort of bugged me, the people who do that, and I was becoming one of them!

Secondly, and really as a result of what I just described, I'm getting way out of shape. Constant fatigue, slovenly lifestyle... and the gut! The beer gut terror alert has been elevated to Orange. Get this, I can actually feel my gut getting in the way and I feel less agile with the extra load. Now THAT'S when I started to pay attention.

Actually I have more reasons for joining Fitness World. I got scared straight by what was probably the smallest gym in the western hemisphere. It was a community centre facility and it was so cramped, the one rowing machine they hade made me paranoid I'd bash my left elbow on a support pillar. It was so cramped, you have to grab your dumbells from the rack, then walk away somewhere in order to use them, because the flat benches are inches away. GREAT DESIGN, you turds. Try and spend some fucking money on your gym. Maybe oooh, knock down a wall to make some room, hm?

But this is what you get with the community centres... hit or miss. What dawned on me, finally, is for $5 - $10 more per month, I could have access to tons of new, well-maintained exercise equipment, buff plasti-smile trainers and staff and all the toned & curvy Kitsilano ass my wandering eyes can handle.

And oh the ass is good. I'll talk more about that next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home