500 Words Per Day

Monday, August 14, 2006

Monday Blah

435941_porte_verte How does a key stop working on the same lock? That's what my coworker and I were pondering this morning as we huddle in front of the office, locked out and rather bemused. All the principals were away until Thursday and the building management proved to be very unhelpful. It still gave me a nice excuse to visit our neighbours next door and speak with the comely interior designer, M. and borrow their phone.

A. and I retired momentarily to fetch our late morning coffee and returned in the hopes of trying out Te.'s keys when he arrived. Te. is our Czech applications programmer and always the last to come into the office each morning. I tried reaching one of my bosses to no avail. We contacted A.'s mother, who also happens to be my boss' sister, to get some alternate phone numbers to try. She promised to call back in 20 minutes once she had a chance to check her phonebook. She never did.

Luckily, her assistance was no logner required. We were debating the merits of spending the rest of the day on the beach when the elevator dinged and Te. walked out. Surprisingly (or not surprisingly, depending how grumpy and cynical you are), Te.'s keys turned inside the door locks, at long last freeing us to drone away at our desks.

I had dropped my muffin during the lockout and opened it up to see if it was mashed. Nope, all good, except that I ordered a blue berry oat bran muffin, not a banana muffin. Banana muffins blow. It's hard enough to mistake "blue berry oat bran" and "banana" when you say it. They also look completely different. I wonder how they fucked that one up. This day was really boding well for the rest of the week.

Great. I had just spilled my cup of water all over my desk, drenching a few papers and nearly putting some work CDs, my iPod and my cellphone at risk. Strange thing that happens when you spill things on your desk. It sets up a series of potential dominos, just waiting for you to set them off. Sure enough, after the spillage I leapt to my feet and started pulling out the Kleenex for damage control, in the process nearly knocking my iPod to the floor and spilling the rest of the water from trying to mop up the water from every little nook and cranny on my desk. The news is so right: liquids suck.

This day, if you haven't already surmised, sort of sucks overall. I thought I had a fair bit to do today, but I don't. You would think not having any bosses around would spell instant party, but it does not.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sameer Vasta said...

Hope the rest of the week gets better. Though I must say banana muffins rock my world. Especially when they have walnuts. Mmm...banana walnut.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home