500 Words Per Day

Friday, June 30, 2006

The ClinTicker 2000: June 23rd - June 30th

Montreal DJs get Hot for Clinton:M
I've been trading links with these guys for several months, but I finally made some interpersonal inroads with Somsay and Dee Bass from Metrolium this week. It started innocently enough, when I tagged Somsay on MSN and asked him about choice clubs and events to scope out when I go visit his town next month. We got to talking more in-depth, one thing led to another and the guy graciously invited me to spin at his Friday night weekly, July 14th to be exact - the day I get off the plane! Just like a superstar. Well, I was flattered, flabbergasted and excited.
Update: the Friday night is looking like a no-go. Somsay put too many DJs on the card, and me being the outsider, was easily ousted off the line-up. Currently sharing mixes and DJ stories with Dee Bass and maybe, just maybe I might be invited to play his Monday night special. It would be really cool to represent Vancouver during my Montreal trip. Vancity jocks are apparently well respected over there and after listening to some mixes from both Somsay and Dee Bass, I definitely feel like I have the chops to bring honour to Vancouver's many DJs.

Action Around My Office
I work in a sleepy little neighbourhood where nothing usually happens apart from the constant stream of tourists strolling about, taking pictures of stupid things. Well the sirens of emergency vehicles filled the air this week, starting on Tueday, which saw a boat in the harbour burn to a blackened husk after its owner applied too much flammable wood polisher to the hull. Fire crews seemed to take their sweet time getting to the scene. A couple days later, I drove past a nasty looking accident involving an SUV and a pedestrian. The man was laying motionless in the middle of the crosswalk and the impact left a massive dent in the vehicle.

3 Dates in 2 Days
Definitely a new record for me. The last date is debateable... I'd say it was more of a hang out session than anything else. We got together and checked out a show at the International Jazz Festival. NoMeansNo! What? Are you kidding me? Note to festival organizers: NOT JAZZ. Still, the opener acts were rather jazz-inspired as well. The first was Zu, a trio consisting of a sax, guitar and drums that banged out energetic, meandering rhythms and not much else. Wibutee, aside from having a wicked name, were the spotlight of the show, playing very groovy progressive jazz tunes that would seem to fit perfectly well with the opening credit sequences of spy or indie movies. Anyway, back to the dates: hey, sometimes I manage to impress even myself.

Moving On Up
I was offered a raise and bonus at the ol' day job. Superb. One of the owners psyched me out with a much higher figure when she first announced the good news. Then the other owner, the one who's good at math, brought it back down to reality, so the actual amount of the increase isn't all that impressive. The bonus, however, is quite nice: a week's stay in any of our luxury condos in Mexico! Shazam.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sameer Vasta said...

Sounds like quite the week. Congratulations on the raise, but I'm definitely super impressed by the three dates in two days. I wish I was that good.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home