500 Words Per Day

Monday, July 03, 2006

Goodbye Gravis

gravis_girl

This athletic, lounging lovely is courtesy of the official Gravis website. The photo of the worn out Gravis sneakers is aalllll me.

Last week I bid farewell to my beloved Gravis Factors. I first bought them in 2001 and they have been with me through countless raves, club nights, at least 3 jobs, several trips, a few visits to the gym and countless kilometeres of walking. They were probably the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. Even my new pair of Gravis, done up in their current styles, does not match it for comfort, not by a long shot.

But every shoe has his day. The Factors were getting dirty... caked with permanent grime, the treads were just smoothing out to a fine polish and they were just losing their old comfort. The final nail in the coffin was stepping into some nastiness one night and not wanting to deal with the clean-up. So rather unceremoniously, I laid out my beloved Factors for a solemn picture moment, gave a moment of silence and silently packed them away into the dumpster behind my apartment.

I know they were just a pair of sneakers. The best damn sneakers I ever had.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sameer Vasta said...

ah, everyone has that pair of shoes that they just can't get enough of. for me right now, it's the new pair of loafers i bought for $12 at old navy two days ago. i'd wear them to sleep if i could.

that being said, i had never heard of gravis before you mentioned them. i must check them out.

3:35 PM  
Blogger abundantc said...

Their memory will live on - passed down in song from generation to generation of sneaks. Never forget.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I like that abundantc... Maybe I'll hold a contest to see who can write a worthy swan song for my dear sneakers.

Bonus points if it involves a banging house beat.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home